Wednesday 30 December 2009

Chivalry is not dead!

Well I hope you’re all enjoying the festive holidays, and are looking forward to the New Year celebrations.

Today I decided to categorise some of the many digital photos I have on my computer, towns and festivals were easy, but some just fall into a miscellaneous folder, which is probably just another way of saying, “I’ve had enough, and will sort you lot next time”

However I did find this photo I took back in July 2008, and wanted to share it with you. I’ve called it “Chivalry Is Not Dead” it seems to epitomise a bygone era of Spanish life. Some people would view it as male dominance, but I feel it reflects Spanish women as hard workers in and around the home.

In the small village where I live, many of the women wash down the pavements outside their houses, and clean their window sills every morning.

I think this photo captures a tender moment, the woman knows her husband wouldn’t dust the persianas (blinds) to her high standard, and I can imagine her saying, “if you want to make yourself useful, you can hold the ladder” to see a man of his generation helping with a domestic chore, in full view of the community is quite rare.






This photo is the copyright of Custom-4u Spanish Properties.

No comments: