Tuesday 3 November 2009

Monkfish Casserole (Suquet de Rape)

Monkfish Casserole (Suquet de Rape) with zesty paprika and fish stock

On Thursday last week I had some time to kill, due to my car being in the garage for repair. The prospect of wandering around the shops, in the town of Canals for an hour and a half, filled me with dread.

It was then I remembered that we needed some balsamic vinegar, so I duly popped into a supermarket, I went into Vidals, (I normally shop in Mercadona) and I must admit I had a preconceived notion that the Vidal chain of supermarkets, are cheap and cheerful.

What a pleasant surprise, some of the products were very cheap, and the staff very cheerful, and with so much free time to spare I had a good look around the store, it was then that I discovered the frozen monkfish, it was so unbelievably cheap!

I would have bought some, had it not been for the fact I didn’t have a recipe to do this great fish justice, previously I’ve lightly fried, grill or barbequed monkfish, but this time I wanted to do something a little different. So after a little search on the internet I found this recipe for Monkfish Casserole (Suquet de Rape) with zesty paprika and fish stock.

I haven’t tried it yet, but will do very soon, it sounds divine.

INGREDIENTS (Serves two)
30g onion
1 clove garlic
1 dessertspoon of paprika
80g tomate frito
200g fish stock
2 x 120g fillets of monkfish (rape)
120g potatoes, diced

PREPARATION:
In a clay dish, lightly fry the onion and garlic; add the paprika, tomate frito and then the fish stock.

Add the potatoes, when the potatoes are cooked, add the monkfish, season and leave on the heat until the fish is tender.

No comments: