Sunday 18 October 2009

Travel Guide: Essential Phrases

Hay = is there, are there, there is, there are.

¿hay agua? (I AH-gwah) is there water?
¿hay lugar? (I loo-GAHR) is there room?
¿hay boletos? (I boh-LEH-tohs) are there tickets?

Tengo (I have) from Tener = to have

tengo frío (TEHN-goh FREE-oh) I am cold
tengo hambre (TEHN-goh AHM-bray) I am hungry
tengo sed (TEHN-goh sehd) I am thirsty
tengo calor (TEHN-goh kah-LOHR) I am hot
tengo 20 años (“TEHN-goh BEHN-tay AHN-yohs) I am 20 years old
no tengo dinero (no TEHN-goh dee-NEH-roh) I don’t have money

Quiero (I want) from Querer = to want

quiero comer (KYEH-roh KOH-mayr) I want to eat
quiero dormir (KYEH-roh dohr-MEER) I want to sleep
quiero pagar (KYEH-roh pah-GAHR) I want to pay

Puedo (can I) from Poder = to be able

¿puedo comprar? (PWEH-doh kohm-PRAHR) can I buy?
¿puedo tomar? (PWEH-doh toh-MAHR) can I take?
¿puedo pagar? (PWEH-doh pah-GAHR) can I pay?

Necesito (I need) from Necesitar = to need / to require

necesito 2 habitaciones (neh-seh-SEE-toh dohs ah-bee-tah-SYOHN-es) I need 2 rooms
necesito un taxi (neh-seh-SEE-toh oon TAHK-see) I need a taxi
necesito un baño (neh-seh-SEE-toh oon BAHN-yo) I need a bathroom
necesito sacar dinero (neh-seh-SEE-toh sah-KAHR dee-NEH-roh) I need to take money out

Está (it is) from Estar = to be

está frío (eh-STAH FREE-oh) it´s cold
está caliente (eh-STAH kahl-YEHN-tay) it´s hot
está bien (eh-STAH byehn) it´s ok
está mal (eh-STAH mahl) it´s bad, not good!
está lindo (eh-STAH LEEN-doh) it´s nice, pretty
está sucio (eh-STAH soo-SYOH) it´s dirty
está limpio (eh-STAH lihm-PYOH) it´s clean

No comments: