Sunday 21 December 2008

My Birthday

My son and I went out last night to watch Real Madrid and Valencia play football (on the television)- Valencia lost 1:0 but were by far the better team, creating many chances and having two thirds possession of the ball.

As midnight approached (and with it my birthday), we strolled to the Bar Trinquet, and then it happened! In the same bar was the legendary Paco Cabanes, (El Genoves), the world famous pilota (trinquet) player. His birthday, 20th December, was closing fast, and as midnight beckoned, my birthday would begin.

This is the 55th time I’ve had a birthday, and at that moment in time I didn’t realise I was going to received one of the best presents ever. Paco Cabanes came over to me, introduced himself, and wished me a Happy Birthday; he shook my hand and we exchanged pleasantries. He then went behind the bar to retrieve a book (his life story) which he signed and presented to me with a pilota ball.

He asked me where my son (Nathan) had gone; I told he had gone home to get a camera, and if he was in agreement I would like to have a memento of this occasion. Nathan duly returned with the camera, and Paco (we were on first name terms now) and I had our photo taken. Please note the size of his (bandaged) hand on my shoulder!

As the night progressed we bade our farewells, and moved to a different bar (the smile on my face looked like I had a coat hanger in my mouth) and even now I can’t contain my boyish grin.

Now many of you will not have heard of Paco Cabanes, (El Genoves), but he really is a legend in the Valencia region, so much so, that night I turned down 500€ for the signed book he had given me.

What a lovely unassuming man. Here is a link to read more about him: Paco Cabanes





These photo's are the copyright of Custom-4u Spanish Properties

Paco Cabanes, El Genoves (red shirt) in action.

No comments: